Ford Announces Greater Houston Area Winners of the Ford Freedom Unsung Heroes of Harvey Awards
- Ford partners with the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation to recognize winners of Ford Freedom Unsung “Heroes of Harvey” Awards
- Winners selected from local community nominations of ordinary people doing extraordinary work during the hurricane relief efforts in the Greater Houston Area
- Uncle Larry Jones, veteran air personality at MAJIC 102.1, to host awards event
HOUSTON, Feb. 8, 2018 – Ford Motor Company today announced the winners of the Ford Freedom Unsung “Heroes of Harvey” Awards, celebrating individuals who have made significant contributions in their community during the hurricane relief efforts. Honorees are being recognized for their outstanding achievements at a special reception in their honor that takes place at the Bell Tower in Houston.
Made possible by a grant from Ford Motor Company Fund, the philanthropic arm of Ford Motor Company, Ford Freedom Unsung salutes and honors individuals who went above and beyond to support the community during this difficult time. Residents of the Greater Houston Area area were invited to nominate unsung heroes who demonstrated heroic deeds during the relief efforts.
“In the face of tremendous difficulty, Houstonians came together to support each other and their community,” said Pamela Alexander, director of Community Development, Ford Motor Company Fund. “We congratulate the winners and are proud to honor their selfless acts.”
Ford is bringing its national program to Greater Houston Area as part of its ongoing commitment to honor distinguished Americans who dedicate their lives to improving their communities and the world. Uncle Larry Jones, veteran air personality at MAJIC 102.1, will serve as master of ceremonies of the event.
The 2018 Ford Freedom Unsung “Heroes of Harvey” Award recipients are:
Carl Butler Jr.
James Dixon, II
The Street Kings
Eric and Kathy Stone
The Relief Gang
James and Shannon Vultaggio
Corey and Maritza Woodard
Houston is one of 26 markets in the United States and Puerto Rico where Ford and its dealers have expanded their commitment to meet community needs by collaborating on programs and nonprofit outreach. The initiative, known as Operation Better World, was launched in 2008.
Ford Motor Company supports programs that make a positive difference in the neighborhoods and communities where the company does business. Other initiatives that have taken place in the Houston area include:
- Ford Dealers, Ford Motor Company and Ford Fund have committed more than $3.5 million in Hurricane Harvey relief and recovery efforts
- Ford Driving Dreams (FDD) program has donated 10,000 books to 10,000 children in need in partnership with First Book, and provided more than $100,000 in scholarships to 50 high school students. FDD award ceremony hosted in partnership with Ford Region and Dealers at the NASA Space Center
- Last April, Ford Fund hosted its Driving Skills for Life program with more than 227 teens with 226 parents participating
Overall, Ford has invested more than 25 million in community building initiatives since 2000 in the state of Texas.
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company is a global company based in Dearborn, Michigan. The company designs, manufactures, markets and services a full line of Ford cars, trucks, SUVs, electrified vehicles and Lincoln luxury vehicles, provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company and is pursuing leadership positions in electrification, autonomous vehicles and mobility solutions. Ford employs approximately 200,000 people worldwide. For more information regarding Ford, its products and Ford Motor Credit Company, please visit www.corporate.ford.com.
About Ford Motor Company Fund
Ford Motor Company Fund is the philanthropic arm of Ford Motor Company. Established in 1949, Ford Fund invests in transformational programs that advance innovation, empower people, promote social mobility and improve community prosperity. Ford Fund works with local and global partners to create opportunities in education, encourage safe driving, enlist employee volunteers and enrich community life. For more information, visit http://community.ford.com, or join us on Facebook @FordFund and Twitter @FordFund.