Celebrating 60 Years, the Ford Fireworks Prepares to “Come Alive in the D!” and Dazzle Detroit on Monday, June 25
- Celebrating 60 years, the Ford Fireworks will light up the Detroit skyline on June 25 at 9:55 p.m. with spectacular views during this signature summertime event
- Themed “Come Alive in the D!” the 24-minute show will feature more than 10,000 pyrotechnic effects visible for miles along the Detroit River
- Ford Motor Company will sponsor live entertainment, games and giveaways in Hart Plaza from 5-9 p.m. along with vintage plane flyover from Yankee Air Museum at 7:30 p.m
DETROIT, June 15, 2018 – The countdown has begun for the Ford Fireworks. Celebrating 60 years, this year’s magnificent display will take place on Monday, June 25 at 9:55 p.m. ET, transforming Detroit’s skyline into one of the nation’s most spectacular displays of pyrotechnic wonder.
Produced by The Parade Company, the Ford Fireworks is also hailed as one of the largest tributes to America’s independence, drawing hundreds of thousands of people for a night of stunning riverfront views and family excitement. The theme for this year’s show is “Come Alive in the D!’’
“The Parade Company is proud to produce a summertime tradition in Detroit that brings together our community and showcases the beauty of our magnificent skyline,’’ said Tony Michaels, president & CEO, The Parade Company. “With Ford Motor Company’s incredible support, the show grows bigger and more vibrant each year. It’s hands down one of the best shows in the country.’’
In its role as the show’s producer, The Parade Company curates the musical arrangement and works exclusively with Zambelli Fireworks to stage more than 10,000 pyrotechnic effects visible for miles along the Detroit River. The 2018 display will be choreographed again by world-renowned Patrick Brault, whose experience designing pyrotechnic displays includes past Olympic celebrations.
“We are proud to partner with The Parade Company to support one of our city’s most thrilling family traditions,” said Jim Vella, president, Ford Motor Company Fund, the philanthropic arm of Ford Motor Company. “Building stronger communities is core to our mission. Whether you’re on Belle Isle, in Hart Plaza or along the riverfront, the Ford Fireworks bring people together.’’
The Ford Fireworks Rooftop Party will once again provide the best views. The event, sponsored by Ford Motor Company since 2013, is also one of The Parade Company’s largest and most popular annual fundraisers. This year guests will experience live music from Your Generation in Concert on the main stage, food by Andiamo, games, giveaways and more for adults and kids alike. To learn more, visit www.theparade.org or call 313-923-7400. All proceeds benefit the Michigan Thanksgiving Parade Foundation.
Ford activities at the Ford Fireworks include:
- Hart Plaza: Ford will sponsor live entertainment, games and giveaways in Hart Plaza from 5-9 p.m.
- Ford Focus on Freedom: Ford Fund will salute 200 current and former military members and their families during a special event at the Port Authority Building with a close-up view of the fireworks.
- Vintage planes flyover: Ford is again working with the Yankee Air Museum to bring in World War II bombers and other historic aircraft to fly over the riverfront before the fireworks. The flyover is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
- L.I.T.E. Fest: The Ford Fund, Detroit RiverFront Conservancy and Sean Anderson Foundation are hosting an exclusive fireworks viewing location for up to 2,000 Detroit-area students and family members at West Riverfront Park. Now in its third year, L.I.T.E Fest – which stands for Lead, Innovate, Thrive and Elevate – is designed to celebrate the positive achievements of young people and will feature food, activities and live entertainment, including a special appearance by Detroit native and singer/songwriter Big Sean.
The Ford Fireworks can be viewed on WDIV-Local 4’s live broadcast beginning at 8 p.m. News/Talk 760 WJR’s Paul W. Smith will provide a special radio simulcast throughout the event and provide up-to-the-minute traffic and weather information throughout the day. For more information on The Parade Company events, visit www.theparade.org. Follow the event on social media at #fordfireworks.
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company is a global company based in Dearborn, Michigan. The company designs, manufactures, markets and services a full line of Ford cars, trucks, SUVs, electrified vehicles and Lincoln luxury vehicles, provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company and is pursuing leadership positions in electrification, autonomous vehicles and mobility solutions. Ford employs approximately 200,000 people worldwide. For more information regarding Ford, its products and Ford Motor Credit Company, please visit www.corporate.ford.com.
About Ford Motor Company Fund
Ford Motor Company Fund is the philanthropic arm of Ford Motor Company. Established in 1949, Ford Fund invests in transformational programs that advance innovation, empower people, promote social mobility and improve community prosperity. Ford Fund works with local and global partners to create opportunities in education, encourage safe driving, enlist employee volunteers and enrich community life. For more information, visit http://community.ford.com, or join us on Facebook @FordFund and Twitter @FordFund.
About The Parade Company
Founded in 1984, The Parade Company is a not-for-profit organization governed by the Michigan Thanksgiving Parade Foundation whose board of directors is comprised of key civic and corporate leaders in the greater Detroit region. The Parade Company is celebrating more than 90 years of Parade tradition in Detroit and is committed to funding, creating and executing the best family events in Michigan. The Parade Company staff, board of directors and thousands of parade volunteers work year-round to bring a wide variety of magnificent events to the City of Detroit and the region including the Ford Fireworks, Strategic Staffing Solutions Turkey Trot, and America's Thanksgiving Parade® presented by Art Van. Follow The Parade Company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.